We are setting up a new Apple MacBook Air with the M1 ARM64 based processor.
There are a couple of caveats when it comes to setting up Windows and Office on the new chip:
- Parallels for ARM64 is in Beta Mode
- Windows for ARM64 is in Beta Mode
The same is true for Office on ARM64: Beta Mode.
- Parallels: Parallels Desktop for Mac with Apple M1 chip
- The beta trial link is here
- Windows for ARM Download
- Sign-up for the Windows Insider Preview Program Required
- Note the key needed to activate once installed
- Office: We used Office for Home & Business (https://office.com/setup)
- Log on with a Microsoft ID, input key, and download
The language on the Parallels page for installing was not too clear so we ended up purchasing a license for what turned out to be the Intel/x86 chip. 🙁
We’re still waiting to see if we can get a refund.
Keep this in mind: No purchase necessary at the time of this writing!
2021-03-30 NOTE: Full responsibility for the purchase lies with me. While I don’t pay attention to Apple tech and its needs all that often, the change from Intel to ARM64 should have triggered at least a cursory look knowing that the code for each is not compatible. So, mea culpa!